Current Job Postings:
Hut Custodian Position
The Spearhead Huts Society (SHS) is seeking volunteer Hut Custodians to look after the day to day operations and maintenance of up to three alpine backcountry huts in the Spearhead Range of Garibaldi Provincial Park near Whistler, British Columbia. The first of these huts – the Kees and Claire Hut – is now open for operations and visitors. The SHS is seeking candidates to join our team in summer/fall/winter 2019/20 to prepare for initial opening and operation.
The custodian will responsible for the day to day operation and maintenance of the huts including the following:
- Cleaning interior of hut, kitchen, toilets, sleeping area, lounge area, storage area, mechanical rooms and etc.
- General maintenance of the hut, snow clearing, repair equipment and building where able, change waste containment totes, monitor propane and waste water systems.
- Operate the HVAC system, propane system, electrical system and septic system.
- Guest services, greet and check in guest, educate guest on the general functioning of the hut, address guest questions and assist where possible.
- Execute and follow emergency protocols and procedures when required.
This is a hands on role and involves lots of interaction with guests staying at the hut.
- The ideal candidate should be familiar with building maintenance, backcountry recreation, backcountry hut culture and guest services. Training and orientation will be provided on operations of mechanical and electrical systems.
- The candidate should be reasonably fit and able to make regularly scheduled shifts to the hut sites, by self-propelled means (backcountry skiing & hiking).
- Free stay in a World Class Hut in a stunning mountain environment.
- Meet outdoor enthusiasts from around the world.
- Other perks may include additional free days at the hut, socials, helicopter flights in and out of hut and merchandise such as t-shirts and jackets.
- At key times of the year the custodian my receive an honorarium.